Posts filed under ‘Uncategorized’
“I would so love to publish a book, a real live book with pages and pictures and things,” she sighed.
“But how can I create a book when I can’t even draw as well as the average four year old?”
“Oh when, oh when will I have book to call my own?”
After many months of fruitless searching, the young writer had all but given up hope.
But one day, as she strolled through Twitterland, she stumbled straight into the arms of the perfect illustrator.
As she gazed into the illustrator’s website, the writer saw everything she had hoped to find and more.
And so a friendship was born, and with it a partnership that would one day lead to… THE WRITER’S FIRST BOOK!
It’s been far too long since my last post here at Squeaky Shoe Stories, so I thought I would stop in to let you all know what’s happening.
But first, to make up for my absence, here is a ridiculously cute image of a squirrel in snow:
I have taken a bit of a time out from writing, due to other things that have been going on (if you’re interested in further details you can read my husband’s blog post over here which should explain things a bit).
I have still been working on Squeaky, but it’s been more behind the scenes stuff – primarily I have been TRYING to move my domain across to another host. Or something. I don’t entirely understand the lingo, but basically I want to make the site faster and better, and also to have a dedicated email address which I am currently unable to do.
I say trying, because it’s kind of a tricky process, especially for newbie like me. This is ultimately a good thing, since it’s all done to protect peoples’ domains – the protections in place stop people from nabbing someone’s domain the minute it expires and then charging them money to get it back.
But right now those protections are proving a teensy bit frustrating as I attempt to navigate the whodackys (whodackies? What is the plural of whodacky?) and the whatsits. Cross your fingers for me!
I am also working on a story right now which I hope to be able to share soon. It’s a bit rough (okay, very rough – I wrote it at midnight on the Notes application on my phone because I couldn’t sleep), but I’ll clean it up soon.
In addition, I have a VERY EXCITING ANNOUNCEMENT COMING! It’s an announcement that I’ve been wanting to make since I started this blog, and it’s coming very soon. It is SO STUPENDOUSLY EXCITING THAT IT HAS ME HAPPY DANCING ALL OVER THE SHOP AND TYPING IN CAPITAL LETTERS A LOT!
So yeah, I’m a little bit pumped for that.
In the meantime, tell me what you’ve all been up to! Any fun plans for Mother’s Day? I’m having a big family brunch with my parents, my in-laws and and my in-laws’ in-laws (sister-in-law’s mother-in-law. Not that that’s confusing or anything).
I have been tagged in the Daily 11 by the delightful Tif from A Warped View.
This post is all about me, because… well, why not? In all seriousness though, I love these types of games for getting to know people better. If you enjoy reading my facts and answers, why not join in?
I have illustrated this post with some pictures from my February Photo of the Day album, just for fun.
I hope you enjoy these random facts about me!
The Rules :
Post the rules
- You must post 11 random things about yourself
- Answer the questions set for you in this post
- Create 11 new questions for the people you tag to answer
- Go to their blog and tell them you have tagged them
- No stuff in the tagging section about “you are tagged if you are reading this” – you legitimately have to tag 11 people (However if I haven’t tagged you and you would like to play along just leave a comment with your blog address and I will add you to my list of tagged peeps)
11 Random Things About Chrissie :
- I have amazing people in my life. I have no idea what I did to get so lucky, but I am so grateful for my friends and family.
- I wrote and illustrated my first book when I was four. I had to use a hole punch and some wool to bind it, since I couldn’t find the stapler (it was hidden from me because, well, I was four) and I was too independent to ask for help putting it together. I have since learned that I am not and never will be an artist, so from now on I’ll leave the illustrating up to someone much cleverer than me!
- My voice squeaks when I get angry, and Mr Bee thinks it’s hilarious.
- I have a growth in my brain which appears to have intertwined with the blood vessels in the balance centre of my brain, causing dizzy spells and vertigo. My husband is very well practiced at catching me, but the other day I actually fell for the first time in more than 10 years of having this issue, and broke the wall.
- I’m seriously addicted to coffee. I am trying to cut back… and failing. Badly.
- My wedding cost less than $8000 and it was just what we both wanted.
- I am horrendously indecisive, especially when my blood sugar gets low (oh yeah, and I get hypoglycaemic)
- I love working from home, but some days I forget to go outside.
- I am frequently torn between loving my house for all its potential and hating it for its lack of space, lack of storage and inability to meet our needs. I want to do it up because it was neglected for so long, but I know it’s not practical to put too much into a house that we ultimately won’t stay at.
- Despite having a natural tendency towards stress I have taught myself not to stress (much). This is necessary for me to survive – my stress levels got way out of control a few years ago and I made myself really sick. I often have to remind myself that most of the things I worry about are trivial and aren’t worthy of my time or my health.
- I am really forgetful. Matt always has to find my phone, bag, shoes etc because I can’t remember where I put them. I sometimes forget to eat when I’m home alone, and at times I forget to breathe. Seriously.
- What is the first thing you do when you wake up?
- What is the last thing you do before you go to sleep?
- What was your favorite children’s book?
- Who do you look up to?
- What is the best piece of advice you’ve received?
- What is your favorite board game?
- Do you believe people are inherently good?
- If you could have any super power, what would it be?
- What is the signature dish that you cook?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
My Tagees :
- Matt at Fearninckx Rising (my husband – it’s our shared blog)
- Leanne at French Kissing (a dear friend who is seriously inspiring and entertaining)
- Danika at Artemiss Creations (a fabulous artist and designer)
- Kirstie at Musings of a Happy Life (some great recipes and inspiration)
- Liv at Col Panna (a fantastic food blogger)
- Julie at 365 Day Project, my way (life inspiration)
- Kaz at Living on a Latte (organising, crafts and recipes – lots of fun!)
- Rebecca at Novel Girl (writing advice and reviews and other cool things!)
Questions for my tagees :
- Why did you decide to start a blog?
- Tell me a lame joke (You know you love them!)
- What is/was your favourite children’s book? (Had to steal that one from Tif!)
- What is your favourite food?
- Name a song you love.
- If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- What is one quality you love about yourself?
- How would you describe your personal style (could be clothes, home, etc)
- Do you prefer being around lots of people, just a few, or alone?
- Do you have any regrets in life?
- How would you spend a perfect day?
I hope you’ve enjoyed my Daily 11. Feel free to join in the fun! I’m aiming to have a new story up next week, so stay tuned.
xx Chrissie Bee
It all went down on Wednesday January 25, smack bang in the middle of a heatwave. Great, right?
But, despite the plus-40 degree weather (that’s more than 104 degrees Fahrenheit for any US readers) we had a really great day. We were surrounded by so much love, both at the wedding and virtually, through Facebook and Twitter.
It was fun, casual, silly and a little bit nerdish – just like us!
But I won’t bore you with details, so instead here are a few non-professional pics from the day:
Thank you all for your patience these past couple of weeks. The wedding was fantastic, and now that it’s over I’m looking forward to writing and blogging a whole lot more!
xx Chrissie Bee
ps, Mr Bee and I shared our vows over here yesterday!
This is what my life is right now – LISTS!
I know, I haven’t posted in a week and a half. I have been slowly writing my post about how I will organise my time to make time for writing, but I keep running out of daylight hours to actually take photos of my nifty tools (and in a small, dark house, natural light is a BIG help.
All of these lists and the running out of daylight come down to one thing: In 9 days I am GETTING MARRIED! Yep, we’re taking the plunge, making it official, walking the plank (wait, is that not a metaphor for marriage? My mistake!) etc.
I fully intended to keep posting in the few weeks between New Year’s Eve and The Wedding, but that just hasn’t happened. I’m too distracted by all these lists (and attempting to check things off them) to focus properly on my writing in addition to my day job (apparently they like it when I actually work – go figure!).
So I promise that after next week I will be back, blogging and sharing stories and other such exciting things. But for now I think I need to admit defeat, and remember that even though this is a nice, simple, stress-free wedding, it is still a wedding and needs a bit of my time and attention right now.
Of course, I’ll also have some wedding pictures to share – I know how much everyone loves those!
So for now, I shall bid you a fond “see you later”, and leave you with these couple of tidbits:
Remember when the year 2000 was the future? Yeah, me neither! What? I’m only 24!
But seriously, I don’t know if it’s because I’m making my merry way into this whole adulthood thing or if the rotation of the earth is off (and none of the earth’s scientists have noticed), but it seems like years just come and go faster and faster.
I’m going to blame the scientists 😉
Seriously though, 2011 has been a good year, but I’m looking forward to 2012 being an even better one!
First and foremost, I’m getting married! (in 25 days – eep!)
Then of course, I am into my second year of running this website, and have lots of things planned for what I want to do with it. Exciting!
And finally, my soon-to-be husband and I will be doing a whole lot of work on our backyard this year, which we will be sharing on a separate blog, www.fearninckxrising.com (it’s pronounced like phoenix, even though it may not look like it!).
Next week I’ll be back here sharing some of my organising tools to make sure I can make more time for writing this year, and how to get the most out of that writing time.
I am also working on a bunch of stories that I can’t wait to finish up and share with you all!
So stick around, because 2012 is going to be a big one here at Squeaky Shoe Stories!